Realtime Satellite Asset Tracking System for the Transportation Industry
The client is a Colorado based technology company specializing in online tracking solutions for the transportation industry. They offer a way for companies to keep track of their assets via a variety of small tracking devices, which operate globally over satellite, cellular and other wireless networks. These devices report movement and any other changes you dictate, giving you not only current position, but also a historical activity log.
The client was looking for a reliable offshore outsourcing company with the expertise in the GPS and Mobile technologies to develop applications for the following devices:
- Garmin(StreetPilot c550)
- NavMan(Hallo Qube2, MDT 860)
- Enfora(Enabler II)
As a result of preliminary research of several existing devices on the market SolveITLabs delivered the following:
- Developed Java application for Siemens Tc65 GSM wireless modem which retrieved GPS data from Garmin GPS device and performed client side processing of this data – calculating Acceleration, Movement, Arrival, and Departure
- Ported the application from Siemens device to Enfora Enabler II GSM wireless modem. (J2ME platform)
- Developed embedded C applications for NavMan Qube2 GSM wireless modem with internal GPS receiver.
- Developed embedded C/C++ applications running on Fusion RTOS operation system for MobiApps M200 Satellite(ORBCOMM) with GPRS wireless modem and internal GPS receiver.
- Developed an application for NavMan MDT 860 mobile data terminal which is able to communicate with different devices over RS232 port. This device relays inbound and outbound messages as well as contains data logs.
Tools and Technologies
- Java: J2ME
- IDE: MSVisualStudio 2005, NetBeans 5.5, AnalogDevices VisualDSP 4.0
- C/C++: AnalogDevices embedded C/C++ compiler for BlackFin Processor, Renesas C compiler
- XML, XSD
- .NET 2.0 framework
- Internet: TCP/IP and UDP protocols used for device communication
- SatelliteNetwork: ORBCOMM